- Aperture — The hole that opens and closes. We control the size of the aperture (lens opening) by choosing a wide open setting such as f/2, or a very small opening like f/11 or higher. It is a bit confusing. Higher f-stops are smaller, letting less light in. Smaller f-stops open the aperture wider, letting more light in. Another cool thing about aperture size is how it affects depth of field. Love the look of blurry backgrounds (bokeh)? We get that look by choosing a wide open aperture. Good lenses let you go down to f/1.4 or so, but you can get good bokeh with f/4 or higher too.
- Shutter Speed — It's just what it sounds like: how long the shutter stays open. It is usually stated in the form of 1/200 sec, 1/60 sec, 1/500 sec, etc. Shutter speed makes sense: slower speeds let more light in: 1/60 is slower, stays open longer, so it lets in more light than 1/1000. NOTE - It's a good idea to find out how steady you are. My limit is 1/125. Anyhing longer than that and my handheld camera images are blurry. That's why I use a tripod. Another cool thing you control with shutter is action: you can freeze motion with a fast speed, or capture motion blur with a slow speed.
- ISO — When you set aperture and shutter for the shot you want to capture, ISO is the third piece of the puzzle. Simply stated, ISO determines how sensitive to light your camera sensor is: 100 ISO is standard. Remember 400 or 800 ISO film? Not old enough? It's okay. Higher ISOs in the digital age do the same thing: let you take photos in darker situations. But like in the days of film, as ISO goes up, we introduce noise or “grain”. It will appear as tiny spots in the final image. But that is manageable in post-production. To a point.
Come see our products
Come See Where We Create Our Emotional Expressive Portraits
Call to Schedule a Time to Drop in and Chat
"She captured our family perfectly. I honestly do not have one negative remark towards/about our photographs. Amazing talent and very caring and gentle with young kids. My son fell in love with her! She will be seeing us in the near future! Outstanding eye in her work. It shows she enjoys the work she does in the incredible photography. Once again, Wonderful talent!"
- "PICTURE PERFECT!!!!!! Just the way I would describe the picture that I received that Peggie took of Baby Ian. I never have to worry about how they are going to turn out. Peggie does a great/wonderful job. Thank you for everything. You make my living room a happy one by the pictures of Ian."
"No need to travel to a city. Peggie's skills as an artist extraordinaire have been channeled into her photography. I have watched her for a number of years now through our teacher consultant relationship with National Writing Project. We have traveled together and she has an eye for the most amazing and unusual shots that stick in our minds like only great artwork can. On my shelf at school, I have a picture taken of me with one of NYC's policemen. St. Patrick's cathedral is in the background, and it's an amazingly realistic picture of a simple day in the life that is captured for the future.
You will not regret your choice of pbh Art, Inc. to help you remember times in your life."
"My husband and I had our photo made recently. It was beautiful. Our session was relaxed and enjoyable. Peggy uses her skills to bring out the best in her clients, and her ability to use her artistry brings forth a beautiful portrait."
"Peggie provided us with stunning maternity images, despite my hesitation to be photographed during a time in which the body changes so very much. The shoot was relaxed, the lighting was incredibly flattering, and as a result, we have two very special photographs hanging in our son's nursery which will always serve to remind us of that very special period in our lives. Someday, Bronson will look at those photographs and know he was growing inside my belly when they were taken. Just last night, Peggie photographed Bronson at nine days old. We are overjoyed with the results of the session and will have a difficult time trying to narrow down our selections! Of course, as proud, first-time parents, we believe our baby boy is breathtaking; now we have photographic proof! Peggie was wonderful with Bronson, ensuring he was comfortable and warm and even calming him into a peaceful sleep so that his pliable little body could be molded into classic newborn shapes. Like the maternity photographs, we will cherish these images for years to come, and while we are in no hurry for Bronson to grow, we look forward to future sessions with Peggie throughout his first year and beyond. Peggie is an artist who puts much thought and care into her work as a photographer. She is honest and open to ideas and suggestions, and her studio is welcoming, laid back and pressure-free."
- "Peggie, you were the perfect fit with my daughter. It couldn't have gone nearly as well with anyone else. Jessie loved working with you, and the beautiful scenery outside your studio was great for the outdoor and country themes that were so important to us. Thank you very much."
- "She tries her hardest to make sure you are comfortable in her space and lets you jam to whatever music you want to.
- "Mrs. Hensley is great at many things like being a teacher, creating art, and photography. This woman is the one that inspired me and taught me everything I know about Art. So, I was thrilled when I got her as my photographer. She did a wonderful job. She makes your personality come out in your photos, and that takes skill and talent. So, I highly recommend pbh Art Inc. for any of your photo taking needs. "
- "I got my senior photos done at pbh Art and I absolutely loved them! "Having someone with an artistic background brought out the natural being in my photos unlike other photographers. It looks like you in the photos rather than someone you don't recognize."
- "Thanks again for taking Trevor's senior pictures. "We have heard nothing but good things about them. You did an awesome job!!!!"
- "These truly are the best pictures that I have seen of our ball teams. "I would like to schedule a shoot with my girls sometime at your studio..."
Julie Alderman, Chapmanville, WV
- "Thanks Peggie! You should see the big picture of the girls on my wall. It is my dream come true, I can just see myself still loving it when they are grown!"
"I really like them! Would you mind if I posted a few of them on my myspace account?"
- "I absolutely love the montage. You did a fabulous job on it. "I greatly appreciate it. Thanks for your time and effort!"
- "So happy with your work!!!!!!!!!!!!! "You have taken so much pressure and work off of me!! Wonderful work!"
When Mom was still living, but lost in the fog of Alzheimer's, occasionally someone from her past would come to visit. It was on one of those serendipitous visits that I photographed Elaine Freeman. She had come with a former pastor's daughter, in for a short visit, and I was showing them the studio. Of course I wanted to document the occasion with photos and they graciously agreed. And because we were laughing, reminiscing, and having a wonderful time, Mom agreed to join in. I treasure the photos.
- "Did you still have the photo of Elaine and in color? "
- "May we use it in her obituary?"
- And the one that sent terror to my soul, "Will you sing I Can Only Imagine at her funeral?"